|Marketers from across the retail property industry were rewarded on Thursday evening at the annual shopping centre marketing awards, organised by BCSC.
BCSC’s annual Purple Apple Marketing Awards, sponsored by Fuzzwire, recognise marketing achievements by shopping centres throughout the country, celebrating strategic marketing, brand building, advertising, PR, events and community engagement campaigns. Former England and Leicester Tigers rugby great Austin Healey hosted the event, which took place at the Brewery, Chiswell Street for the third year running.
A vast array of marketing initiatives were showcased and a record 51 awards were handed out in total, with eight high-profile “Apples” and 43 Merits presented to 42 centres from up and down the country.
Michael Green, BCSC Chief Executive, commented “The sheer number of awards presented this evening is testament to the continuing value of marketing in the retail property sector. The best and most engaging campaigns can go some way to offsetting the challenging market conditions the industry is currently facing.”
Sue Boor, Associate Director: Shopping Centre Marketing at PRUPIM, is Chair of the BCSC Purple Apple Judging Panel. She added “Yet again we have been treated to some truly unique and innovative marketing campaigns. The categories this year were as competitive as I can remember and, despite our consistently strict criteria for marking entries, we have handed out more than 50 awards. This year’s winners have really gone above and beyond in promoting their centres, with the eight winners of the Apples generating more than £24m of PR value collectively.”
This year’s winners of the top Purple Apple Awards were:
- Midsummer Place, Milton Keynes for ‘Midsummer Place’s Sustainable Christmas Tree’ – Events category.
- The Mall at Cribbs Causeway for ‘Christmas Light Switch On Event / Concert’ - Events category.
- Chapelfield, Norwich for ‘Chapelfield’s Custody & Community Project’ – Community Relations category.
- Kingdom Shopping Centre, Glenrothes for ‘The Great Glenrothes Hippo Parade’ - Community Relations category.
- Marketing Manchester for ‘I Love Manchester campaign’ - Public / Media Relations category.
- Meadowhall Shopping Centre for ‘Toy Tester’ - Public / Media Relations category.
- Pentagon Shopping Centre, Chatham for ‘It’s a RAP!’ - Effective Advertising category.
- Westfield, Stratford City for ‘Westfield / Stratford City Launch’ - Strategic Overall Marketing category.